Interruptions: Yet Another Joy of Parenting

ear0150l     We interrupt our regularly scheduled adult conversation to bring you…MY SON TUGGING ON MY SLEEVE UNTIL I STOP TALKING AND PAY ATTENTION TO HIM AND ONLY HIM!!!!  And this brings me to my question for the day:  when do kids finally learn that interrupting is just R-U-D-E??? I have talked till I’m blue in the face about having the patience to wait until it’s your turn to talk, but apparently, I have made absolutely no impact whatsoever on my little minions.  It’s like they sit and wait until the precise moment that I’m deep in conversation with another parent to make their move.  It is infuriating, to say the least.

     Yesterday, at the beach, I was talking to another mom about some health issues she was having.  Right smack dab in the middle of her story, I suddenly felt a little finger poking me in the back.  At first, it was just a slight nudge, but the longer I tried to ignore it, the more it turned into a piercing jab. I so badly wanted to pretend like I didn’t feel a thing, but then my son decided to add a repetitive cry of “MOOOOMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!!” to the already aggravating situation.  It was getting harder and harder to act as if nothing was wrong.  I had to eventually stop the conversation and ask my son to please wait a minute, a request which he chose to ignore completely. As my friend continued her story, the back poking then turned into a foot pushing on my butt through the bottom of my beach chair.  I was doing my absolute best to focus 95% of my attention on the other mom and the seriousness of her story, but the other 5% of me was having a hard time keeping my cool. Plus, it’s a little hard to concentrate when you have a six year old’s foot in your ass!  I was ready to bite my son’s head off at that point.  Could he be more annoying? I mean, really! Afterwards, he received a nice, long time-out and had to miss out on digging a giant hole in the sand with a bunch of his friends. But, I guarantee you that it’s only a matter of time before he does it again.  

     I quickly saw that I was not alone in my frustration, though, because other kids pulled the exact same stunts on their moms during random adult conversations throughout the day.  They all do it, and every mom appears to be at their wit’s end right alongside me. So, how and when does this phase end?  I know that my kids get the general idea of manners, because I’ve heard them on many occasions say, “Please” and “Thank you” without any prompting from me whatsoever.  However, they just can’t seem to grasp the concept of waiting to speak. So, I’m throwing this topic out there for discussion amongst the peanut gallery.  Surely, someone somewhere has graduated from this area of parenting and can offer some advice.  Is duct tape really the only answer???

Advertisements

4 Responses

  1. With 16, 13, 12, 6, and 5 year olds the answer is…no it doesn’t. It gets better, but they still interrupt. The best is when they are in another room and you are the phone or talking with someone and they proceed to yell for you non-stop until you answer. The 16 year old, the one that definitely knows better, is really good at that one!

  2. when you find out, let me know.

  3. Yea – my kids are in this stage with yours right now – but my best friend has a 16 year old and a 12 year old and they STILL do this – in one respect it’s comforting to know that some things don’t change – but on the other hand – i TOTALLY feel your pain.

    • Oh, please say it isn’t so! It continues into the teen years???!! I guess duct tape, it is…. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: